Friday 8 February 2013

Glammammama

-->
(My) International Women’s Month
Glammamamma

My friend, Quilting Mafia, asked me to contribute to International Women’s Month.  International Women’s Day, started on 1st February, but she is carrying it through the whole of the month.

I have been making and creating for many years, and my friend, Quilting Mafia, asked me to contribute to International Women’s Week, which starts this month, but she is carrying it through the whole of the month.

I have been making and creating for many years, and have decided to share my work with all the world’s women.

Last year, Suzanne in a tester group, which met each month to weave, taught me.
All the weavings were based around spirituality, whether you were religious or not, as religion, beliefs were not the focus point.

After some time, we learnt to weave a Doll on a frame using yarns as the warp (left to right) threads, and then the ‘fabric’ was cut from the frame.  The sides were sewn together then the centre was filled with small pebbles, then dried pulses, rice, and died, scented flowers or petals.  I filled my doll with lentils, dried leaves, scented with essential oils and an amber stone at the base.

Her head is made with needle felted, merino wool, with Swarovski glass for eyes.
She is wearing a head wrap, 6made from a webbed yarn, which I used to weave her body.

During each part of making the doll, I thought about how she/I would ‘be’.  
Will she be tall, short, even the skin colour  As you can see, she is has a green face. 
Moreover, that’s because, it’s the colour of the felted bead, I had in my stash!

Her name is ‘Countess Carmelita’, and she is going out for the day.
She has no physical money, but she uses cowrie shell beads, as currency, which you can see, i have sewn on her back.

The ‘Countess’, is a strong, powerful, woman, who likes her independence and individuality.
She may be western born, but has a proud culture, which is not always obvious by the clothes she wears, but talk to her, and she will wax lyrical about the time she spent in Africa and the Caribbean.

I hope you like her and feel inspired to take part in International Women’s Month

Peace & Love

Glammamamma


No comments:

Post a Comment