Wednesday 22 June 2011

MA Textiles - Digital Portfolio


Describe your current practice/area of interest: Which aspects(s) of your selected MA subject are you specifically interested in?
My current practice is 2D and 3D surface building and construction coupled with electronics. For example, some of the surfaces I construct will have sensors in them, which are connected to Arduino boards which process the stimuli and cause light or sound to be emitted from the surface.
The aspects of my chosen MA Subject – Textiles – is machine embroidery and hand embroidery, due to the quality of the facilities in these areas available at MMU, specifically at Medlab and their work with electronics and fabric.  I am also interested in Japanese textile culture, particularly the Sashiko a quilting technique. I am also interested in dyeing techniques, particularly the use of indigo dyes in Japanese and Nigerian fabrics.  I am also interested in the interface between ceramics and textiles in creating pieces using both materials.  


What do you want to achieve in your chosen MA Programme?  What do you hope to achieve through your studies.
I would like to develop my current ways of working and be able to push forward some new ideas.  I would also like to create a collection of work that can be exhibited. I would like to set up a textile forum – a monthly gathering of artists and students interested in textiles, innovation, conservation and application. I hope to extend my knowledge in regards to textile innovation as well as networking with other artists and designers not only within the textiles forum but also other departments and artistic media. 


Tell us how you will go about achieving the above?   What  methods will you use,  ie experimentation, exploring new processes, developing collaborations …?
I intend to explore electronics within the framework of my work.  I will also setup a forum within my blog about how people react to certain symbols placed on the blog.  I hope to advertise my blog on the student notice board and to connect with other students to explore and develop about inter-departmental and cross-over exchange projects.  


Please give an indication of the resources you think you will need.  What do you need to advance your studies: ie.., studio/desk space, computer access, particular software, technology, archives, and specific workshop facilities? Permanent studio 4 full time student.
I will need studio space with domestic/industrial sewing machine, computer/laptop, scanner, Arduino boards and cables with LEDs, fuses, soldering rod, open source processing software and some degree of technical support with Arduino software and processing.  I will also need access to textile archives, machine embroidery equipment and workshop, access to ceramic kiln, porcelain clay, MIT workshops, plaster workshops for mould making and photographic workshop on developing on fabric using liquid emulsions.   


What do you hope to be doing in 5 years frm now and how will the MA studies contribute to your ambition?
I intend to be a working, paid and practicing artist, producing, selling and exhibiting work. I envisage this course acting as a platform to launch my work and ideas to the art world at large. Once established, I intend to be producing work to be exhibited locally as well as globally as well as lecturing and running workshops.
I also intend to be collaborating with other artists, designers and scientists., developing collaborative work, research in to the interface between art and science, particularly in the textiles field.
The MA will allow me to concentrate all my efforts on pushing the boundaries of my work. It will also give me opportunities to have contact with other like minded individuals as well fantastic tutors to encourage and inspire me. It will also allow me to forge relevant contacts which will enable me to develop my practice.



















No comments:

Post a Comment